Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Living on a Wildlife Preserve

























I once had to disappoint an exterminator who came to the door and wanted us to put him on a monthly retainer to come and spray for insects and spiders.
"I like insects and spiders." I told him.
"Several of your neighbors have hired me. I guarentee to keep your house and yard free of spiders."
"This is a spider preserve."
"If you see any between treatments, I'm always on call."
"I like spiders."
He never did quite understand.
But because my home and yard are a wildlife preserve, I can claim anything here for Pet Picture Month. This week I was working in the side yard when I spotted this solitary bee. She was making trips back and forth to this little hole in my fig tree. She would arrive and go head first, perhaps depositing something from her mouth. (It looked like read wax.) Then she would pull out, and back in, probably laying an egg. I came back the next day and the hole was full, and covered over with a piece cut from a leaf.
Now I'll have my solitary pet bee for next year.




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

caedmonstia said...

This is a good pet because you don't have to worry about who will watch her when you are traveling. Also, you don't need a smelly litter box for her. And also she doesn't go into heat and attract lots of loud stinky males to your house. A good choice in pets, all the way around.